Monday, December 8, 2014

FJ Cruiser Heated Seats DIY Install - Factory Look

Hi I'm James and this is my FJ blog.

I wanted to explain how I did my heated seats. Finally a mod that INCREASES resale value! Do this one and your ass will thank you for 6 months of the year.

Parts I used:

1.  Heated Seat Kit.

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Heated-Seat-Two-Seats/dp/B00AKFISW2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418067231&sr=8-2&keywords=heated+seat+kit



I chose this one for the 5 levels of heat you can pick, and that the switch fits almost perfectly into the FJ switch spots.

Wiring is very simple for these.

2. Mini fuse tap and some 10 or 12 gauge wire.
3. Wiring clippers, electrical tape etc.
4. Swiss army knife or similar.
5. BEER

Step 1. Due to that I didn't take proper pics when I first did this mod, I have limited pics. But I will do the best I can.

First thing is to try to take apart the seat covers. You don't need to do this fully, but we need to be able to slip the pads inside the seat covers.

On both the bottom and back part of the seat, there is a seam you can see that cuts it in half. You will need to take your swiss army knife and go inside with your hand, and cut this seam inside to be able to reach the other half of the seat panel. I kind of drew it out below here to give you an idea how its connected.
The part where the blue lines are is where you want to cut. I had to do this by touch, without being able to see what I was cutting because there is only enough space to get my hand in there. Take your time, and BE CAREFUL NOT TO CUT UPWARDS AND THROUGH THE TOP OF THE SEAT. Just go really slow, using an up and down motion to kind of "saw" through the fabric Use a pointed knife and cut from the center - outwards. Once everything is installed, it won't feel any different. Cut it like below:



To reach the bottom panel, I inserted my hand from the front of the seat where I was able to disconnect the seat cover along that edge. To do the back panel, I leaned the seat all the way back, and went from the bottom of the back panel reaching up into the seat cover. As shown below by the green arrows:

I then placed the pads in, both in the opposite direction. We want the wires from each of them to come out of the bottom of the seat at the back. The wires from each pad should be hanging through the back of the seat in between the bottom and back parts, as shown below by the purple pads and the yellow wires (im running out of colors)
Here are some pics from during my install process:
You can see that the pads are the perfect size, and go all the way up to the shoulders. This, combined with the nice curve of the FJ seat, makes it nice and hot.

I lifted up the front of the seat cover just enough to get the pad in. The same goes with the back portion.



Once both panels are in, next is the wiring. It is up to you where you want to put the switches. I put mine in the center console and got a switch holder from OTRATTW. I recommend these guys. Google them.


I ended up getting a 4 position switch holder to make it look nice and clean. 

Wiring went in this order for me:

1. Tap into driver side fuse panel with fuse tap
2. Use a 30 amp fuse for seats.
3. Connect fuse tap to power for seats harness
4. Connect seat harness ground to a ground. I used a bolt by the shifter as a good ground. It was also in a handy spot.
5. For each seat, I ran the harness from under the center console panel to under the seat where the leads from the pads were. A bad reference photo posted below:

PHOTO

6. Connect the harness to the seat panel leads. Turn it on and check that they get hot before sealing up the seat covers again. From here its pretty much a reverse process. And that's it!

Once I get a chance to take some good pics, I will update this post. Subscribe for updates :)

No comments:

Post a Comment